Thursday 16 February 2012

Still on choices

I am extremely conscious of the fact that many deaf people I meet in Nigeria did/do not even have the privilege to choose whether or not to wear a hearing-aid. I think that this is sad mainly because if they had wanted to wear one, for many it is difficult.

On the other hand, I have met a number of deaf who have by virtue of lack of 'alternatives' have chosen to accept that if they cannot access a means of wearing one, they would accept that. Personally, I think it is not right. Every deaf person should be given the opportunity to CHOOSE- not 'compelled' to accept what's not even available. If that makes sense. Life is all about choices but for people to be empowered, they should be given alternatives and be able to choose.

I'd really like to read your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment