Sunday 13 November 2011

At the Deaflympics football qualifier match today

...between NGR and ALG, I met a very,very interesting personality! The Silent Rider!!!! Kohei Hakamada!

He is a deaf Japanese who, upon retiring, embarked on a round-the-world motorbike trip. He started in June 2010 and hopes to finish in....*gasp* May 2014!! Seeing that I love travelling, I was really excited to meet him. With a well-worn map of the world, he showed me the places he rode to so far. His first port of call on his adventure was South Korea. From there, he travelled to Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan,Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Lebanon, Syria, Israel,Jordan,Egypt,Sudan,Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda,Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Swaziland, Lesotho, Botswana, South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Congo, Cameroun, Central African Republic, Chad and of course, NGR. I will do the counting later.

Right now, his motorcycle is undergoing repairs here in Abuja. And his next stop is Niger Republic. And onto some West African countries and the coastal areas of North Africa to Europe and to South America and then to North America. Indeed the trip of a lifetime!!

I believe that Kohei is in the Guinness Book of Records. Kohei was born deaf (communicates only through -international- sign language) and this trip is, in fact, his 2nd round-the-world trip; having had the first between 1973-1977 as a hitchhiker!
Wishing Kohei an enjoyable and safe trip! Arigato!!

He has very kindly permitted me to take a photo of and with him. I'll put it up later.


I am still shaking my head in amazement!

PS... The photos as promised...

The Silent Rider himself!
Yours truly and Kohei Hakamada
                                                          


3 comments:

  1. hello i am deaf from Gabon kohei hakamada was there too...please send me the adress of deaf football nigeria because we are also team football deaf Gabon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Ibrahim, I apologise for the late reply as I did not see your comment till now. I will get back to you with an email later. Cheers.

      Delete
  2. The President of Deaf Sports covers Deaf Football; he can be reached on nigdeafsports@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete